At NinetyThousandHours we have been speaking to over 100 VPs and Heads of Customer Success within Technology and SaaS companies over the last month.
Although the vast majority of Customer Success leaders I spoke to agreed the COVID-19 strategy needs to be to get close to existing customers and to proactively demonstrate value, not all companies are following this route. I have encountered many people who have been furloughed, had contracts cut, or who are facing redundancy. Which perhaps isn’t a surprise, but given how important it is to protect RR, perhaps it should be?
DURING OUR RESEARCH THROUGHOUT THE PANDEMIC WE ASKED...
WHAT SHOULD CUSTOMER SUCCESS TEAMS BE DOING OVER AND ABOVE RIGHT NOW?
HERE ARE OUR TOP FINDINGS:
1. Measure the right things and collate the data into a health score so you get a steer on whether an account is likely to churn
2. Empathy should be used in customer conversations to support them through uncertain and fearful times. They will remember how you handled this once we have returned to some normality
3. Customer Success should be leading the way with remote communication. Use this expertise to get really close to your customers in a digital way.
4. Support your customers where you can, offer payment holidays, reduce licenses or offer free upgrades
5. COVID has not only changed how we communicate with customers but also with colleagues. CS works best when different departments come together to achieve a common goal (reduce churn and increase value). So utilise tools available to bring people together
6. Understand how the customer is being affected by Covid and how their customer are fairing. How has their central strategy changed and how can you help them to deliver it?
7. Don’t let your CS teams burn out. Good leadership and support is what is needed during times of crisis